Let’s face it, we’re busy people leading busy lives and one small change we can implement to make healthy eating a whole lot easier is meal planning! By this we don’t mean plan out your meals and snacks so rigidly that there’s no room for movement, we actually mean the opposite! We want meal planning to be flexible enough to ensure you have adequate foods to prepare tasty meals and snacks when you want to prepare them and most importantly when you’re hungry.
It’s totally ok if you don’t enjoy cooking or grocery shopping there are lots of people who feel the same. We’ve put together some of our top 3 tips to make the process a little easier:
- Try to map out a plan for the week. We will see what nights we’re home and map out enough dishes for those nights. We often try a different ‘base’ for each meal eg: 1 fish, 1 chicken, 1 beef and 1 veggie dish.
- There are stacks of solutions out there eg: Hellofresh, Marley Spoon that will take the decision making process easier. We will often buy our groceries online and get them delivered or click & collect.
- Bulk cook for lunch the next day or freezing left overs. It is a great way to get another quick meal under your belt for those nights you just don’t want to cook!
- Get inspiration by sharing go-to recipes with friends/family, then ask them to share theirs with you! Or look through those supermarket magazines for new quick meal ideas! Here’s some of our faves: Plant Based Nourish Bowl, Moroccan Chicken and Veggie & Bacon Frittata
- Don’t over commit, who is going to come home from work and cook up a full roast? Save those for the weekends.
- Try new things- what’s the worst that could happen? You might not like it, then you just don’t try it again! There’s always eggs on toast as a back up!
- Go to the grocery with a plan! Write a list, but keep things flexible- something might catch your eye at the shops you might want to try!