This delicious winter warmer won’t let you down!
Grainy, veg filled, warm spices
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ~2kg of chicken with skin on- thighs, drumsticks and breast
- 2 x brown onions (diced)
- 4 carrots (diced)
- 1 large eggplant (cubed)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large tin of tomatoes (diced)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice & zest of the whole lemon
- 2 cups of water
- ½ cup sultanas or raisins
- ½ cup dreid apricots
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Fresh coriander to serve
- 1 cup cous cous
- On a medium heat stove top with a large deep fry pan add 1 Tbsp of oil, when hot, add the chicken in batches to brown, cooking each side for 2-3 minutes. Set aside on a plate.
- In a large saucepan over a medium-high heat add the olive oil and onions and mix well. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until onions are cooked. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the garlic. Cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the paprika, salt, pepper, turmeric, coriander, fennel seeds, cumin, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon. Mix well to combine. Cook over medium-low heat for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix well to combine with the onion and spices. Add the water and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Arrange chicken pieces back into the pot (if the sauce is extra thick, add an additional cup or two of water). Return pot to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and allow the chicken to simmer for 20-30 minutes. After 20-30 minutes, turn the chicken over, cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in eggplant, sultanas/raisins and apricots into the chicken and continue to cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove cover and cook over medium-high heat for an additional 15 minutes or until eggplant is fully cooked.
- In the meantime prepare cous cous according to the packet instructions and set aside.
- Once the mixture has finished cooking, sprinkle with slivered almonds and fresh coriander and serve over cous cous. Voila!