Friday night din din idea anyone? Loaded nachos- eat loaded nachos!
People tell us all the time that they feel guilty when they eat corn chips, or that they try and limit their intake of corn chippies eg: “they can’t be good for you, they have heaps of salt and fat, I should eat less of them”.
Well we’re here to tell you that healthy eating is not about what you should eat less of, healthy eating is more about what you CAN include in your meals. That is, how do we load our meals up with delicious nutrient rich foods from a variety of the different food groups? Take this nachos, we’ve loaded it with colour, texture and flavour. Filled with veggies, dairy, grains and legumes – full of fibre and fun!
Corn chippies are delicious, crunchy and absolutely can form part of a healthy diet!
Pack of corn tortilla strips (or if you have time, drizzle mountain bread with olive oil and bake in a moderate oven until crispy)
Tin of black beans, drained
1 tin of salsa (or a tin of canned tomatoes blended with a bit of garlic, honey, lime juice, salt)
One cup of shredded cheese
¼ red cabbage
Punnet of cherry tomatoes
1 red chilli
½ bunch coriander
½ cup of greek yoghurt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180o
2. Scatter corn tortilla strips on a lined baking tray, sprinkle black beans, salsa and cheese on top.
3. Bake in the oven for about 10-15minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
4. Meanwhile, finely slice the cabbage, avocado, tomatoes and chilli, and roughly chop the coriander.
5. Once the chips have been removed from the oven, sprinkle over the cabbage, avocado, cherry tomatoes, chilli and coriander.
6. Lastly, dollop greek yoghurt on top and enjoy mindfully!
Friday night specialty! Goes perfectly with Netflix on the couch!